The progression of prototypes

  • 0

The progression of prototypes

Category : Uncategorized

March 21 2016

I went back to read my blog and noticed some holes on the timeline. I want to fill in some blanks on the game process regarding the prototypes. First, the prototype is just a nice version of something already made. The game creation portion for these games was completed last year. The last 2-3 months was all about pulling the art together, the graphics, and only the occasional game edit. Sometimes edits are made in submitting for a prototype either to fit the look of it better or because you catch something you had missed before.

So the timeline of the last two months. In February I was waiting on artwork for multiple games and felt like my hands were tied. Even though rules and items were constructed, I needed the final artwork to proceed. The one game I did have all the images for was Book Collectors. Book Collectors was the first game I did the design for and submitted for a prototype. It wound up being fun despite how tedious it was. I found out afterward that I had taken the long way to complete multiple tasks in my learning. Oh well. It was submitted to the Game Crafter on February 7th and I got the prototype back on February 22nd.

Right after the submission of one, I got to working on the next. Next up, I decided to tackle Nocturnes. It was the first game I had completed, at least the rules and cards/tiles anyway. I had been working with someone on the graphics, but knew that doing it myself would take less time than going back and forth with another. I just needed to learn how to actually accomplish what I wanted. This game took about two weeks to complete the designs. I already had some things in mind, so that helped, but I spent a lot of time on figuring out how to lay out the artwork and then making minor adjustments. Nocturnes was submitted for a prototype on February 19th and I got it back on March 5th.

Parks was next because I had all the artwork for it. I actually did the artwork myself  because it is a very “child at heart” kind of game so it doesn’t have to look too impressive. Though, I wound up being thrilled with the results. It took me six weeks between December and January, and countless redos to get and edit the 65 images I needed. I learned how to draw for this game. I also kept thinking I was done, but then changing and improving a piece. Anyway, I submitted that one on February 28th and got it back on March 12th.

And onto this week! Next was Battle Gnomes, and you all saw some of that process. Parks came in right around when my artist for Battle Gnomes was finishing up. While waiting on Parks I began the card layouts for the artwork so I could just plug it in once I got it. Beyond the graphic art, I spent a lot more time reviewing the specific text and rules for Battle Gnomes. I don’t know when I’ll get Dungeon Break submitted, but it will be some time before Phoenix Comicon, so I can show it to people there. I’ll probably get a prototype back for that one in May. For the next few months the main focus is on Battle Gnomes now that it’s completed.

As you can see, 2016 has been very productive so far.


Leave a Reply

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

THE GAMES

Battle Gnomes

Check out these battling Gnomes here!

Book Collectors

Collect the most impressive assortment of books among your friends here!

Dungeon Break!

Escapees must avoid getting thrown back into the dungeon! Check out how here!

Nocturnes

Be ready to experience your greatest fears here!

Parks

Create the best theme park ever right here!